Just For Fun Avian ID Quiz #15
As always, the “Just for Fun Avian ID Quiz” is brought to you by Jory Langner, our esteemed Avian Quizmaster.
Sometimes you learn some avian trivia from non-birders. The information on this week’s quiz comes from my wife Hope, who is a non-birder. She pointed out this term to me while she was reading Sunday’s NY Times.
“There are no rules for this quiz” says the anarchist in me.
- Yes, it is an avian topic.
- Potentially it relates to all bird species, although I suspect that it has been limited to just certain species.
- An event has been in the US news recently which relates to this term. This event could happen most places in the world.
- This has nothing to do with the US presidential inauguration, the Illinois governor or any US Senate seats.
- It is one word.
- It is sometimes created in the air.
- I’ve read that the Smithsonian Institution receives about a dozen packages of this each day.
- If known by 10,000 Birds bloggers Corey, Mike and Charlie, I suspect they would have used it in a blog post. But I couldn’t find it.
- Death and heroism.
Question: On what date did the current news event happen?
Extra Credit: There is a rumor that this one word (see clue #5) has an alternate meaning. What is that alternate meaning?
Extra-special Extra Credit: Email me the one word I’m looking for at langnerj AT earthlink.net. All the answers will be scanned for truthiness, timeliness and humor. The winner, picked at random from all the correct answers, will be awarded my congratulations posted in the next few days. All other correct answerers will be awarded my congratulations too. If there are incorrect answerers, I might congratulate them as well.