Congratulations to all who participated in this quiz. Some great answers. Here are the clues and a bit of an explanation.
1. No clue. If you read the words BEFORE the clues, you will see:
- “working up my appetite”. This could be better written as “whetting my appetite” perhaps?
- A “smallish” quiz.
2. “A kleptomaniac’s delight” is a description that I made up, paraphrasing a statement documented by a famous birder about an anonymous first-time observer of this species.
- the famous birder is Pete Dunn.
- the statement is “You just want to put it in your shirt pocket and take it home with you” (1)
3. Solitary, monotonous vocalization and widespread throughout the ABA area. Yes indeed.
4. Unobtrusive. That’s for sure! As the additional clue said, this is one of my nemesis birds. I live in upstate NY. I’ve never seen this bird and I have heard this bird exactly once.
And so the correct answer is Northern Saw-whet Owl. Nate, you were the first to get it right, excellent!
Next quiz, Dec 1.
(1) Pete Dunn’s Essential Field Guide Companion, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2006.