To call this quiz “An Avian Quiz” is a bit of a stretch. All disparaging comments should be forwarded to Corey or Mike. All kudos should be sent to me!
This week I mangle and analyze words. Your job is to make some sense of it all. On this quiz, you might want to work backwards. Maybe not.
– Take a beverage produced by a large distributor.
– The beverage’s name is 10 letters long.
– You will see that the first 5 letters and the last 5 letters have 3 letters in common.
– Delete these 6 letters, leaving 4 letters remaining.
– Rearrange these 4 remaining letters and you will end up with a rare avian visitor to North America. From the pictures in the guides I have from Europe and Asia, it looks pretty cute.
What is the name of this beverage?
Here is a story. Check out the CAPITALIZED words and read below for the question you’ll need to answer.
“Once upon a time there was a birder named Jasfpoves. She lived in Atlantis many centuries ago, before the birds had been officially named. She looked UP and she looked DOWN and she looked everywhere for birds. When she saw a bird she hadn’t seen before, she gave it her very own name. One day, while out on walk, she spotted some birds. On the LEFT, she saw her favorite bird, a bird from up NORTH that she called the grazziielfnn. On the RIGHT, she saw a new bird that she imagined was from the SOUTH. She gave it a new name pwnoerms. Later, when swimming out in the ocean, she saw a common bird called pwenoifwef that flew in from the WEST and another from the EAST.”
It is clearly a crummy story, but that’s not why you’re reading this. You’re reading this because you want to earn extra credit. Your task is to answer this question:
What do NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, LEFT and RIGHT have in common, but not UP or DOWN?