This week’s Poop Quiz was answered in record time. And I thought it was so diabolical. One just never knows …
Congratulations to Matt O’Donnell for his correct answer !
The clues and their answer:
1. Back in the 60’s, there was a TV commercial for Certs mints that went something like this, “It’s two, two, two mints in one.” Nonetheless, this clue is “It’s three, three, three ‘things’ in one.” – What does “three things in one” having to do with poop? — Answer, the cloaca, which is used for three functions … defecation, urination and copulation.
2. Sewer, from long, long ago. — The root of cloaca is sewer or cleanse in Latin.
3. My air conditioner has more than one. Well, not exactly. — Answer, my a/c has more than one vent. Another name for cloaca.
4. Kiss. Hide it from the kids? — Answer, the cloacal kiss, a term for copulation in many bird species. As a side note, while writing these answers, I decided to google the term “cloacal kiss”. Guess what? Cloacal Kiss is the name of a “metal, grindcore, experimental” musical group from North Carolina. I was successful at listening to about 5 seconds of each of three songs of theirs, but never got beyond that.
5. Human congenital disorder. — Answer, this is Sirenomelia, or Mermaid Syndrome, where a human is born with legs fused together. Sometimes a baby has a cloaca or vent instead of genitalia. Q87.2 is the formal diagnosis code for Sirenomelia. This is a very rare disorder.
On that happy note, see you next quiz.
Poop Week is a week of themed posts on 10,000 Birds that cover the intersection of poop and birding, a fertile precinct if there ever was one. Rather than just discuss the horror of a pigeon dropping droppings on someone’s head we decided to really get down the nitty-gritty details of poop, to the point where it is squishing up between our toes. Not only is Poop Week a fascinating way to spend seven days in June it is also a serious attempt to elevate the level of discourse in the bird blogosphere, which, as we all have no choice but to admit, is far too low. Enjoy, and make sure to wipe up afterwards, would you?
Leave a Comment